Wednesday, March 30, 2005

WHERE IS THE ETIQUETTE?

I often wonder how people actually get away with most of the stuff they get away with. I find so many people to be so crass and mean. Where did public etiquette go? I mean I am not a student of Emily Post by any stretch of the imagination, however, there seems to be no manners left…in anyone!

People are rude, belligerent, obnoxious (especially on their cell phones), angry, violent, pissed off, self-centered and self-important. The older I have gotten the more I have recognized how little people actually care about one another. I am talking about people out in public (not family and friends- though that could be debatable). You walk down the street and get bumped and people no longer even say “excuse me.” You make a wrong turn or a small mistake on the road and it is total road rage galore. Every expletive comes from wound up windows and a wide-open mouth- sometimes a finger- the middle one to be exact.

There just doesn’t seem to be any common decency anymore. Or maybe I am just blind to it. But I haven’t seen any in a long time. I just know that some of the human indecency has given me more reason to adorn my BITCH GEAR. My shell.

I just wish there was more compassion. More general caring. More people who gave a shit. I wish there was friendliness and softness. I think so many of us have bean beaten up and spit out. It is a shame. I am guilty of being a loud cell phone talker, a cursing driver and even a self-important wench. But I try to put myself in check and realize that it isn’t ‘all about me’ and that there are so many things out there greater than ME. And that MY world isn’t the only world that exists here. I try to balance myself. I try to be a KIND BITCH. But sometimes I am just kind of a BITCH.

I wonder if this has always been the case; people just unkind to one another and publicly inappropriate. And if not… when did we let our guards down and think it was okay to flip people off and call them nasty names? When did it become okay to push and shove and spit in the street?

Anyone know?

No comments: